Friday, March 21, 2014

A little DIY.

Store bought granola makes me feel like I'm chewing rocks and glass and that a tooth is going to break at any second.  I really like granola but it's too darn hard to chew. 

A friend recently talked about making her own granola so I started looking for a recipe.

I found just the right one in the March/April 2014 issue of Taste of the South's Annual Breakfast Issue. I modified the original recipe to eliminate the almonds and substituted 1 cup of dried cranberries.  The original recipe called for 1 cup slivered almonds and 1 cup pecans.  That just sounded like more nuts than I wanted.   




Toss together 2 cups Oatmeal,  1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 cup chopped nuts in a bowl.


  



Measure 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup honey and 3 tablespoons brown sugar into a pan.  Simmer until the sugar is dissolved.


Toss everything but the fruit together and spread it on a greased baking sheet.  Bake in a 275' preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.


I tossed in 1 cup of dried cranberries in place of the slivered almonds after it was done baking, let it cool, then stored it in an airtight container.


The only thing I would do differently is add 2 cups of dried cranberries.  I would have liked more cranberry flavor.

This recipe is so simple and tastes great.  I made another batch using dried pineapple and unsweetened coconut.  It is delicious just plain, in a bowl with milk or on top of yogurt.

My next concoction will involve dates and walnuts.

I'd welcome any other combinations you can think of.

Pam

4 comments:

  1. For one of my favorite breakfasts (or at any time, really :)), I thaw frozen mixed berries in the microwave so they make a lot of juice, then add granola cereal and mix really well. The granola takes on the juice flavor and every bite is scrumptious. Hope you try this and like it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love granola. And Taste of Home mags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum--that looks great and I'm sure it tasted even better. Some of those Taste of Home recipes are positively decadent!

    ReplyDelete