Friday, January 1, 2016

2015 in Quilts

For the last year I have dug in and finished just about all of my old and neglected quilt projects. I really didn't have a good reason for neglecting some of these.  It's just how it goes sometimes.  A class, a retreat, a start I couldn't resist or a quilt planned as a long term project...I was overwhelmed and tired of them all.

The four main finishes were these four.

Over the River by Crabapple Hill. This was intended as a long term project and it took a looooong time!  Mainly because I didn't make any effort to work on the stitching regularly.  I just picked it up whenever I felt like it.  I have a new Crabapple quilt being worked on in the same manner.


We made this block in a class with my quilt guild.  It originated in a 100 block magazine but I do not think I ever knew which magazine or who designed it.  I got super bored making these so it took forever to finish enough for a quilt top.  I was pleased with my lay-out, though.


This is just made from two jelly rolls.  Sew sets, cut sets, re-sew strips into blocks of 25 two inch squares.  I'd sewn the sets and cut them into 2 inch strips then put it away.


Furry Sweetness by Eat Cake Graphics spent years in a box.  Every now and again I'd pull it out and applique a square.  I just needed to keep it out and work on it.  It wasn't hard...after all...I am good at machine applique and I had all the necessary fabrics.  I had just lost interest.  Persistence paid off with a cute quilt.


Another attempt to work my way through projects involved making some of the kits I'd accumulated.
So, this winter I took some projects to Florida with me where I get lots of uninterrupted sewing time.
Nantucket by Minick & Simpson was a favorite finish.


I bought the fabric for this quilt ages ago.  Using Jodi Barrows' Square in a Square method I made Homestead Stars.  Because I wasn't following her fabric requirements exactly I bought a jelly roll of the same fabric just in case I ran a little short on anything.


With that jelly roll I worked up a 1600 quilt.  Nothing fancy just quick.  It came in handy during a quilt guild demo of 1600 quilts.  You can find free instructions here if you have a jelly roll just hanging around you'd like to whip into a quilt in an afternoon.


There have been other odds and ends of projects that I finished this year but I think we got the idea.  I committed and I accomplished.

This year I have only a few unfinished projects and most of those are intended to be long term projects.  When they're being worked on I'll show them but for now they are tucked away.

Let's hope the coming year lends itself to as much sewing time as 2015 did.

Happy New Year.

Pam

3 comments:

  1. So many gorgeous quilts Pam! I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these quilts are just beautiful - congratulations on so many finishes! That must feel so good to you - such an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a successful year in quilting, Pam!! You are so talented and I love the variety in the quilts you make :) Its' hard to pick a favorite, but I think the Homestead Stars comes out first for me!

    ReplyDelete