Saturday, March 14, 2015

Taming the mess.

Even the most casual quilter has scraps.  No matter how small a piece you tuck back into your stash...scraps happen. 

A few years ago I started using Joan Ford's Scrap Therapy method once I was done cutting from a piece of fabric and it was time to scrap it. I also keep 2 1/2 inch strips in a basket, bias ends with the name of the fabric, and a few thin little strips to use in string piecing.  Once I even tried to go through my scrap basket and cut things down to Joan's recommended sizes but that was just taking way too much time.  So, the basket sat and every now and again I dug through it looking for something useful. 

Fast forward to present day when I decided that I was tired of the box full of yet another part-way-finished project and I got busy focusing on that project.  It's a scrappy leaders and enders project from Bonnie Hunter.  She challenged quilters to create a 9 patch that would result in the block she used in creating the quilt on the header of her blog.  While I failed at actually using leaders and enders I fully intend to create enough of those blocks to make a quilt. 

So, I pulled out my scraps and my Go Cutter and got cranking. 


I used the die with the 2 1/2 inch square and the half square triangles that work up to a 2 1/2 inch square.  Boy that mat has seen better days.


My scrap basket...after I'd been pulling fabrics!  I think the pieces left behind fluff up and fill all available space.  


I've pulled the mat up off the die.  Pieces stick to the mat and the die.



The beginnings of my pile. 

I am heading to Florida tomorrow to wind up the kitchen project so I am taking a bag of these pieces to work on.

I have also packed my snowman cross stitch.  What I am not taking is my computer.  I will try to post from my ipad but no promises.

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment